top of page

Gas and Electric Shutoffs Starting April 1st in Philadelphia

If you live in Philadelphia and are behind on your gas or electric bills or have already received a shutoff notice, follow these steps right away to avoid losing service.

Apply for Utility Grants from LIHEAP, UESF, and the Phila Rental Assistance Program

These grants can be used to pay off overdue bills and do not need to be repaid.

Apply for a Low-Income Assistance Program

PECO’s Customer Assistance Program (CAP) or PGW’s Customer Responsibility Program (CRP) help low-income customers lower their monthly bills and assist with debt forgiveness. Enrolling in one of these programs may prevent a shutoff.

Ask the Utility About a Payment Arrangement

PECO and PGW must offer at least one payment arrangement. Low-income customers who get a payment arrangement should get at least five years to pay back their bills.

  • Call PECO’s customer assistance line: (800) 494-4000

  • Call PGW’s customer assistance line: (215) 235-1000

Ask Your Medical Provider for a Medical Certificate

If you or someone in your house has a serious illness or medical condition that would be impacted by loss of utilities, you might be able to get a medical certificate, which stops termination for 30 days. Here’s how to use a medical certificate to prevent shutoff.

File an Informal Complaint with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission

If the utility fails to give you an affordable payment arrangement, file an informal complaint with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC). If filed before the day of shutoff, an informal complaint will temporarily stop the shutoff while the PUC investigates. Here’s how to file a gas or electric dispute.

No Water Shutoffs Until April 2022

There will be no water shutoffs until April, 2022. However, penalties for late water bills will begin on May 1 2021 for customers who are not enrolled in low-income program. If you are behind on your bills, call the Water Department. You may be eligible for the Tiered Assistance Program (TAP). You can find more information about how to apply for TAP here, or give the Water Department a call at (215) 685-6300.

bottom of page