The Visitor Coordinator has overall responsibility for the recruitment, training, support, supervision and retention of 400+ volunteers who visit people incarcerated in federal and military prisons across the United States. The successful candidate will have experience with volunteer coordination, excellent communication skills, experience in developing and presenting live and online training, proficiency with technology and social media, and commitment to supporting people who are incarcerated.
· Recruiting new Visitors and local Coordinators;
· Overseeing the screening and interviewing of new visitor applicants
· Leading the volunteer training team, which assists PVS in developing ongoing training and educational programs for both new and experienced Visitors and Coordinators;
· Designing, presenting and evaluating volunteer trainings;
· Developing initiatives and programs to support and retain Visitors and Coordinators;
· Overseeing the PVS response to requests from Visitors;
· Reviewing monthly visitor reports, providing guidance, advice and conflict resolution to Visitors and Coordinators when necessary;
· Informing the Executive Director of significant situations that may require follow up with executive staff of the Bureau of Prisons;
· Working with other members of the staff team to develop and implement external communications, organizational priorities and work plans;
· Assisting the Executive Director in identifying prospective donors and board members.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Commitment to PVS mission
· Knowledge of the federal prison system
· Ability to work with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds (Visitors, prison officials, Board members).
· Ability to supervise volunteers
· Ability to assess the suitability of potential Visitors
· Crisis management and problem-solving skills
· Ability to work independently and set priorities
· Ability to work collaboratively as part of a small management team
· Good oral and written communication skills
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom or other conference/training platforms
· Comfort with public speaking
· Familiarity with social media platforms a plus
Education and Experience
· Familiarity with the criminal justice system
· Experience working with volunteers
· Experience with public speaking or training
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
The Visitor Coordinator reports to the Executive Director (ED).
This position is part-time, 24 hours per week, with scheduling flexibility. Work is predominantly sedentary and can generally be completed off-site with regular travel to PVS offices and prison locations.
Within one year, Visitor Coordinator is expected to be a trained, regular Visitor at a federal or military prison.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2021. Interviews will be conducted in early November for a start date of December 15, 2021.